To ensure that accredited laboratories maintain and improve continuous compliance with CAP and other regulatory requirements through oversight and education in the areas of proficiency testing (PT) and other mandated quality activities; to monitor and ensure all CAP-accepted PT providers continue to meet established criteria; and develop guidelines for requiring commercial PT and/or alternative performance assessment.
|Time Commitment Requirements|
|Number of face-to-face meetings||3|
|Length of meetings||1 day|
|Typical meeting days||Friday or Saturday|
|Meeting locations||One meeting takes place in Chicago and the others take place in two other locations.|
|Number of conference calls||9 (1 hour)|
|Hours per year||15+|
|Additional travel or time commitments||Chair sits on Commission on Laboratory Accreditation. Typically the chair assists staff with onsite audits of PT providers.|
Activities of Committee
- Provides scientific support to the Laboratory Accreditation Program in the area of continuous compliance with a primary focus on the monitoring of PT.
- Review of corrective action/reinstatement documentation in response to a PT compliance notice.
- Provides input into review and approval of CAP-accepted PT providers (including onsite audits).
- Monitor and ensure all CAP-accepted PT providers continue to meet established criteria outlined in “Criteria for Proficiency Testing Programs”.
- Communicates with participating laboratories.
- Participates in Educational Programs such as webinars and development of educational resources.
Expertise or Experience
- Good working knowledge of both the PT and laboratory accreditation requirements.
- Knowledge of other regulatory requirements, such as Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments regulations.
- Emphasis on clinical pathology but needs balance with some members with anatomic pathology expertise.
Benefits of Committee Membership
- Gain experience in regulatory compliance in both anatomic and clinical pathology
- Opportunity for speaking engagements and to publish materials